Friday, January 16, 2009

Let's Talk About Racism

Our discussion about racism touched on the racism that we all commit: passive racism. Personally, this really touches base with me because though I do not actively participate in racism (at least conciously-I know we all internalize some racism from society) , I realize that I'm a passive racist. There. I said it. It is very hard to admit that you are racist. The term "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem" would especially apply to racism.

As I think about all the situations that I was in where racist jokes and comments were made and I simply rolled my eyes or turned my attention to a distraction, I think about what I could have done. I could have spoke up! Easier said than done. It's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to tell someone who has had racist views for fifty years that their comments are unacceptable. Not being a passive racist is going to be a battle and take a lot of courage and energy. However, it is far more difficult to be a part of the target group and having to live your life looking out for violence and mistreatment because of your race. We can all be an ally in fighting racism, as well as other social injustices. It is everyone's responsibility to fight racism and its perpetuation through generations. Perhaps the most effective way to prevent being a passive racist is to think about those situations you are likely to be in and how you will act against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment